Monday, May 17, 2010

As much as i'm excited to come home, there's a tiny bit of fear inside me. Much has changed and i've started to like my lifestyle over here in Manchester. Although the European lifestyle has a much slower pace and i have my many complaints about the locals, this lifestyle i built over here is slowly becoming precious to me. I don't drive over here and walking forces me to see everything around me and wonder more about things. It taught me to be more observant. Staying in a dodgy place makes me fear walking home at 2200. I hold my key ready to attack when someone in a hooded shirt walking towards or behind me. I enjoy watching uncensored foreign art films without feeling awkward. Sipping a tall cappucino at a bench in St. Peter Square accompanied by annoying dumb pigeons completes my Wednesday. I party with the right crowd and the right amount. I come back at 5am in the morning from a party/bar but the next day i work hard on my assignments and score straight A's for my design subjects. Pretty well-balanced lifestyle i've got here. (=

Am i lonely? No. Not at all. I love this whole independence and staying in this foreign country by myself with no familiar Malaysian friends is good for me. I will not have learned much if i created my Asian bubble. I will always remember my brother's advice. He told me to always remind myself that i'm in England and not Malaysia and i shouldn't be busy hunting for food like any Malaysians but absorb the culture, knowledge and embrace this journey. To be honest, food here mostly suck but i will not complain or compare it to tasty Malaysian food. There's more than just food in a country. It's funny that the first question that most ppl ask me when i landed here was - "how are you doing? how's the weather and the food? is the food good?". I smiled thinking how right my brother was.

Spoke to my flatmate about this a couple of times and she said this, "I've built this whole network according to my routine and my lifestyle, if i go back Poland, it's not the same. Yeah i miss my family but when i'm in Poland everthing is different and something is missing."

When i'm here, i'm free and inspired.
When i'm here, i don't feel the need to fit in or even bend myself to fit in because i've already blended in.

I think i've too much wine. I don't even know what i'm rambling about anymore. Goodnight!

Rathyana! Watch this film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home